Full article @
http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2014/11/21/full-transcript-mikhail-kasyanov-and-anissa-naouai/
AMANPOUR: I'm telling you right now that there is legislation underway that makes it difficult for us to broadcast. And it's not just us. It's television all over the place. But my real question to you is, do you feel that it's healthy for a society just to get a diet of one side rather than the other? And that is what's happening.
NAOUAI: I disagree that that's what's happening. Certainly at Russia Today, like I said, we always cite the Ukrainian government. We always cite Western governments, Europe. If you want to analyze internal Russian news, I'm not sure I'm the best person to do it, to be honest. But certainly, at Russia Today, we always try to show both sides of a - do we show more of a Russian perspective? Of course we do, because that's the perspective that's being sidelined. But it's an absurd question coming from someone that's propagated the line of the State Department for over 15 years. I mean, it's absolutely absurd.
AMANPOUR: Well, are you talking to me? Are you talking to me?
NAOUAI: Yes. Absolutely I'm talking to you.
AMANPOUR: You've got to be kidding me –
NAOUAI: - talking to? Absolutely. You've propagated the line of the State Department for over 15 years, starting with Yugoslavia and all the way into Syria.
AMANPOUR: Oh, my goodness.
NAOUAI: And now you're doing –
AMANPOUR: Have you seen any of my reports about Syria? Have you seen any of my reports about Syria?
NAOUAI: I've seen lots of your reports and in not one report where you find you questioning the United States government and their policy. And we, with our Russian propaganda, question those –
AMANPOUR: Anissa, I'm really now - listen, I invited you on this program - I invited you on this program to have an adult discussion.
NAOUAI: Absolutely. Bring your audience to be aware of this, Christiane. Your audience should be aware of this.
AMANPOUR: Oh, yes. They are aware of it, which is why they've been watching me for a long time. But listen to me, I would like you seriously –
(CROSSTALK)
AMANPOUR: - as an act of research and as an act of education, go back and find all my work on Yugoslavia and all my work on Syria and match that with the - with the - with the policy of the United States government and furthermore, go back and watch what launched me and that was a to-and-fro with President Clinton challenging his policy on Bosnia and Yugoslavia. So Anissa, listen, I have respected you but I really don't think that you should be doing this to me, of all people, on this - on this broadcast and on this satellite link. And you're wrong. And I challenge you to go back –
(CROSSTALK)
NAOUAI: - tell CNN –
AMANPOUR: No.
NAOUAI: - who their sponsors are, whatever governments they're working with –
(CROSSTALK)
AMANPOUR: No, no, no, you just said whatever you wanted to say. When you become ad hominem to me, that's a problem, because you're not doing it from a basis of knowledge. You're doing it - I don't know why you're doing it. But you're not doing it from a basis of knowledge.
NAOUAI: - I think that's the fairest way out of this debate.
AMANPOUR: What did you say?
NAOUAI: Let your viewers decide. Let them go back to your work in Yugoslavia. Let your viewers decide. Let them go back to your work in Yugoslavia and see if doesn't fall exactly in line with the State Department.
AMANPOUR: I tell you what. You just go and see the interview with President Clinton and then you'll be able to choose, because you can be sure I'm not putting this on the air, Anissa. It's a personal attack. You're –
NAOUAI: I know that interview very well. I know that interview very well –
AMANPOUR: Exactly.
NAOUAI: - Christiane, and you were propagating war. You were basically encouraging Bill Clinton to go to war.
AMANPOUR: Oh, and that was what was Bill Clinton wanted, was it? Anissa, come on; you've lost me, babe. Thank you very much.
NAOUAI: - Bill Clinton wanted. I'm saying –
AMANPOUR: Thank you.
NAOUAI: - talking about your work –
(CROSSTALK)
AMANPOUR: Thank you very much indeed. I really appreciate it. I'm sorry; I thought we could have an adult discussion. And we can't. Thank you so much. All right.
(CROSSTALK)
Anissa, Mikhail Kasyanov, thank you very much indeed for joining me.
KASYANOV: Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment